Thursday, March 30, 2017

It all takes a Toll

I like driving. I always have. I enjoy the journey part of trips- the random things you find between point A and point B. For example, check out this awesome picture from a gas station stop with my family in Wisconsin from last fall.
Micah LOVES his hats! Haha Thank you random gas station in Cadott, WI
However, one thing I don't like about trips is TOLLS!?! Why should I need to stop and pay for the road I am driving on? Aren't I paying enough tax in my own state? Why can't that state just do the same thing?

Anyways, while I was driving to Indiana last week, I had to drive through Illinois. Illinois has tolls. And if you are on a toll-road there is NO way to avoid the tolls. There is sensors, cameras, and all kinds of electronic devices to monitor every car that passes by. If you haven't been on a tollway lately, here's an idea of what it looks like-
So if you are driving on a tollway, there is no LEGAL way to escape paying something. The tollway will take it's determined amount of money from your bank account.

The reality is that life is the same way. As we go throughout each and every day, each part of our lives can take a toll from us. Go three nights in a row without getting enough sleep? Well, you are probably grumpy and tired. The lack of sleep takes a toll on your patience and behavior. Lift too many weights or go for a run without stretching first- you are probably sore the next day.


Life very much has a give and take aspect to it. I think a great way to look at ourselves personally is to relate us to a car. Cars need regular maintenance; cars need gas to run; cars need to be cleaned every once in awhile so they don't develop an odor.....sounds just like us right, haha!

The problem though we encounter as people is we don't have something as simple as a dashboard warning light to let us know something is wrong with us. We instead are complex individuals and sometimes we struggle to notice our warning signs of breaking down.

Some simple questions for you to ask yourself this week. Think of these as maybe a tune-up or inspection for your car.

1. Are you getting enough sleep? If you are tired everyday at 2:00pm and you need a 5 hour energy, you probably aren't.
2. Have you had any "good" conversations lately? This talk could be with a friend or a loved one. We need support from other people, so if you haven't had a good chat in awhile- find a friend and coffee shop!
3. Have you been taking your celebrations and troubles to God? We need to remember to take the good and the bad to God. Ask for help when needed! Thank God when something awesome happens! Keep God included in every significant moment you have.

After you go through these questions, read to yourself or out loud Matthew 11:28-30. I've provided the traditional NIV translation and then the Message translation. What Jesus is saying in this Scripture is being said to YOU.

NIV- 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Message- 28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

Remember this week, everything in our lives takes a toll on us, HOWEVER, we have a God who will take on all those tolls FOR us. God wants us to have rest and comfort IN Him. Don't forget in our journey of life we are NEVER in the car alone- our Savior is right by our side.

No comments:

Post a Comment