Monday, February 6, 2017

Always be humble and genuine

If someone had to use 3-5 words to describe your character, what would they say?

Now THAT can be an exciting or a scary thing to think about. What do other people truly think about you?


YEESH. Well I can tell you probably a few people I wouldn't want you to ask...haha. Then there are others I would certainly direct you to so you could hear "just the good stuff".

One thing about my job at a church is I get asked on a regular basis to be used as a reference. I  gladly tell people YES and I wait for the form or email to come that I have to fill out for them. What this makes me do is really THINK about other people. What are they good at? How would I describe them now that they asked? I always hold this job in high regard because I feel it's so important to accurately reflect this person to whatever college, job, or organization they are being recommended too.

There are a few words though that I only give out one special occasions. Those words are humble, genuine, and authentic. While thinking about it, those are some of the character traits that I hold in the highest regard.

I think for me, these are the most important things because these are the things I take out of Scripture SO closely reflected by Jesus. Jesus deeply shows his humbleness and care in the washing of the disciples feet. (FULL Story of Jesus washing His disciples feet) This is one of my favorite stories in the Bible and it deals with DIRTY feet. Just imagine walking around a desert in the hot of the sun every day. You are walking with animals and everything animals leave behind them. At the end of the day, you have your whole day caked onto your feet. Then, the Savior of the whole world, JESUS, decides to wash your feet. I can't even describe the level of humbleness that brings. Jesus states it best in verse 15 and 16- 15 For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. 16 Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant[c] is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.

Then Jesus shows how genuine His relationship with us was in SO many ways. Jesus met people where they were at in life. Whether it was a woman by a well (John 4) , a blind beggar (Luke 18) on the street, or healing a possessed man (Matthew 8)  Jesus showed mercy and love to people where they were at. 

Now I don't know what 3-5 words someone else would say about you, but take a minute to think about it- What would you WANT someone else to say about you? What words would they associate with you?

We can have a profound effect on other people, and the reality is that effect could be positive OR negative. So for me, everyday I'll do my best to be humble, genuine, and kind. Those are the some of the most important things to me, so I better keep on working on them!


No comments:

Post a Comment